Monday, October 1, 2012

If It's Monday . . .


FOR TODAY:  Happy October
It's My Simple Womans Daybook Day
Outside my window...  we had sunshine earlier but right now we're getting a good rainfall.  When I look out the window, the first thing I see is a palm tree that really needs a good trim right now.  Would you be surprised if I said that I just put that one on my 'to do' list.

I am thinking... that's it taking me longer than I expected to catch up on the yard work I have planned for this Fall.  It's either too hot, or it's raining, or there's something better to do or I'm too tired. Slowly but surely, I do believe one day I'll get done.

I am thankful...   that I still have the ability to work outside and keep the yard looking good.

In the kitchen...   just had a grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of citrus fruit and a glass of sweet tea. yummy!

I am wearing...  white bermudas and a blue top.

I am learning... as much as I can about  ALEC and 'thanks' to Moyers & Company for exposing them!
You can watch it on YouTube HERE

I am going...  Joyce's for coffee at 3 o'clock.  Didn't get to go yesterday so for sure I'll go today.

I am wondering... if you want to know what to do about all the junk mail that we have been told to expect. Well guess what?  I have some useful info for you.  This is probably more than you ever wanted to know about junk mail but I think it's worth sharing so here goes.

Junk mail not only puts us at greater risk of identity theft but also cost Billions to collect & dispose of.
 So here's some solutions for you.

 . . . . a good way to reduce the number of credit card offers, go to OptOutPrescreen.  This is a secure website created by the 3 leading credit bureaus.

. . . . to reduce junk mail, go to http://www.DMAchoice.org/.  It may not stop all your junk mail but it will reduce it.

. . . . lastly,  http://www.catalogchoice.org/is a free service that helps you opt out of catalogs.  Hope this helps. 

I am reading...  I finished "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' and will start reading "How To Make An American Quilt" by Whitney Otto.  I saw a small snippet of a movie called "The Quilt" on Saturday and when the credits came up it's based on a novel.
Eight women gather together over the years to piece together an extrarordinary quilt of their own imaginative devising. And as they stitch, we listen to the stories they have to tell of their successes and failures, their lives and loves, their dreams, desires, and the surprise and sometimes joy of living.
I am hoping...  that the book becomes available soon.  I'm feeling sorta lost not having a book out on the table in the Florida room just waiting for me to pick it up.

I am looking forward to...  Sebring's 100th Birthday celebration.  The celebrations start this month.   I'll be keeping you posted on any of the fun stuff I get to go to.

A favorite quote for today...  “It takes a great man to be a good listener.” ― Calvin Coolidge
 One of my favorite things... getting a bargain
Just in case you missed seeing my latest little bargain addition to my kitchen, I'm posting it again here just in case you didn't see it.
A bakers rack that's also  a wine rack.  Pretty neat and all for $35.00.  And 'yes' Darylynn, the baskets were included.

Join join us @ The Simple Womans Daybook by clicking  HERE

5 comments:

  1. Hi Marge,

    Enjoyed your SWD entry. I've used the opt out of catalog site. Since I don't shop by catalogs I don't get much junk mail. When I do and they have return envelopes with no postage needed I rip up the contents and mail it back to them. I never get credit card offers either. My shredder is very active too. ;-}

    Great price on your bakers rack. I've been looking for one a long time but they are too expensive. Maybe one day I'll find one just as inexpensive.

    Have a great day ahead. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't complain about junk mail because I worked for the PO and my husband still does. I don't get many credit card pieces and most of what I get is a few bills and grocery adds. My husband pays his bills by mail and I do it online. A lot of paper is recycled now. I was working on my web pages and on the Real Women pages too. I thought of you. Have a great rest of the week Marge. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bakers rack was quite a find! Good for you! I haven't posted on SWDB for a couple of weeks. I'll get back to it Monday. Been busy getting used to my new lap top and re-creating my website. I remember your website. That's where I first "met" you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marge!

    I love the fact that you are thankful that you can work in your yard!! I love a nice neat looking yard, and hope to be able to work in mine for many, many years!!

    Junk mail is not too much of a problem here, although I do get lots of magazines that I didn't order?! I will check out the sites you recommended though, as I think they use way too much paper!

    Love the bakers rack!! I'm sure it looks just beautiful in your kitchen!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't get much junk mail anymore thank goodness!

    I'm about 2 hours from Sebring, might try to make it to their 100th Birthday celebration. I checked out the link and it looks fun!

    Love that bakers/wine rack!! And such a good price!



    ReplyDelete