Thursday, August 29, 2013

Caladiums & Mosaic Maker

My caladium bulbs have finally made their debut and are big  enough to share with you.  I just love them and am so happy with the way they turned out.  The Florida Sweethearts look like this.


The bag of mixed bulbs held some pretty nice surprises.  Never expected to see the all red ones!

Here's the directions for making the mosaic's.  Thanks to Barb's Blog for sharing them with me.

Mosaic Maker

I have had several requests for instructions on making photo collages or mosaics, so I thought I would post a little tutorial here. For the past several weeks, I have been hosting a meme called Mosaic Monday. Each week, about 50 wonderful bloggers join the party. So far, subjects have included flowers, food, decorating, travel, scenery, butterflies, family and pets. Really, any subject that you enjoy photographing can make a great mosaic.

There are lots of options for making photo collages. You can do a Google search for "photo collage" and find a bunch. But here is what I do: I upload my photos to flickr, the photo-sharing website. Then I use a site called Big Huge Labs to create mosaics.

I strongly suggest that you sign up for an account at flickr, the photo-sharing website. I believe that the first 200 photos that you upload can be stored for free. After that, it costs $24.99 a year.

Once you have your photos on flickr, go to Big Huge Labs and find the Mosaic Maker. http://bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php
Then let the fun begin. ;)

Here are some directions to make the layout that I use most often in my mosaics -- a large central picture, with smaller pictures surrounding it.

At the top of the page, you will see the command "Choose Layout." Click on the drop down menu and choose the last option -- 4X4 with large center.

You can choose the colors for your frame by clicking on the white boxes that say background color and border color. A color wheel will appear, and you may scroll over it and click on any color you like.

For "Space between Images" I usually choose 2 pixels which gives a rather narrow border, but this one is totally subjective -- use whatever you like.

You will be asked to choose 13 photos to fill this layout. Note that the large center photo is No. 1, and then they go across from the top row, second row, etc.

Once you have chosen your photos, click "Create." If you wish to edit it, click on "Edit" at the top of the mosaic. Then you can go back and delete or change any photos, background colors, etc. When you are satisfied, click on "Save" at the top of the page.

I hope this helps all of you who want to learn how to make a mosaic, and I also hope to see you all at Mosaic Monday. :)

*****

4 comments:

  1. Happy Friday Marge; Your caladium are beautiful. I always loved their beautiful leaves. I've made my own mosaics with PS7 many times. I might try the Mosaic Monday meme. Thanks for the info. Have a great Labor Day weekend my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Caladium are gorgeous. I have always admired them in gardens.
    Big Huge Labs is a great place and a lot of fun.
    Hope your weekend is wonderful Marge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The caldiums are gorgeous! I need to try some of these in a pot. The red ones are very pretty. Have a great weekend, Marge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty, pretty pretty....my garden is nearing the end. It was nice in the Spring and for most of the summer but now only the annuals are still flowering. Oh well such is life. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete